At the beginning of nearly every game a small selection of dwarves are chosen to become heroes. Heroes are individuals with additional or enhanced powers over regular dwarves, but can do everything a normal dwarf can do. These heroes are split into two categories that vary in relative power and spawning requirements.
To become a hero, you are simply chosen completely randomly from the pool of players at the beginning of the game, excluding players which have opted out of becoming a hero or those which have opted into the Plague.
Different numbers of players in the game at the start will result in a different number of heroes comprising different amounts of Major and Minor Heroes. The ramp up of these requirements is detailed below:
- Under 10 players, no hero will spawn.
- Between 10 and 14 players, one Minor Hero will spawn.
- Between 15 and 19 players, two Minor Heroes will spawn.
- Between 20 and 24 players, three Minor Heroes will spawn.
- Between 25 and 29 players, one Major Hero and two Minor Heroes will spawn.
- Between 30 and 34 players, two Major Heroes and one Minor Hero will spawn.
- With 35 or more players, three Major Heroes will spawn.
Universal Hero Abilities
There is a small number of abilities each hero has regardless of who they are. These are listed below:
- Every single hero receives immunity to Blindness in the dark. Though this is incredibly useful in melee combat for constantly critical hitting and ranged combat to see far off targets, it does not prevent monsters that get buffs in the dark such as Zombies, Venomburners, and Wolves, so placing light sources can still be useful.
- All heroes are immune to the Plague.
- All heroes receive a Healing Ale of some sort that can purge all negative status effects such as burning, poison, etc.
- All Heroes receive some sort of Knockback Resistance item, that being an item they either wear or hold that negates all non-explosion knockback effects.
- Hero boots all have Feather Falling V on them.
Minor Heroes are somewhat selfish, their abilities are mostly of benefit to themselves though do have some level of team utility. They are however much weaker than Major Heroes and only receive one special item outside of the Minor Hero kit.
The current Minor Heroes and their special items are as follows:
- Grand Paladin Ziros
- Lightbringer - A sword which empowers Ziros with longer rampages.
- Salogel Sureshot
- Nohdalag - A bow that does an area of effect of damage upon hitting monsters.
- Lord of the Undead
- Staff of Defile - A shovel that empowers Lord with Resistance 2 when holding it, and double Scavenger.
- Priestess Arianna
- Ruby Necklace - A Healing Ale that can place Regeneration and Night Vision wards and give Regeneration IV upon healing.
- Guard Captain Alfon
- Hookshot - A tool that allows Alfon to hook monster to him and hook himself to locations.
Minor Hero Kit
Minor Heroes generally receive 5 Wiggly Wrenches, 10 Slabs, 20 Enchanted Lamps, 32 Super Mortar, 5 stacks of Cobblestone, 2 stacks of Arrows, a permanently activated Dwarven Oak Shield, a Mighty Healing Ale, and their one special item.
Some of these items may possibly be replaced with the special hero item each hero spawns with, but that item is either equivalent or better than what would have been provided. A few of the heroes are also provided title weapons or renamed armor, but these give no gameplay advantage.
Hero Dwarven Oak Shield
These heavy shields were once used in the Great Wars by dwarven soldiers. Few survived the devastation and they are now wielded by only our finest.
- A shield which negates all knockback when held and can be used to block 50% incoming damage when right clicked, it also does not need to be charged like the normal Dwarven Oak Shield and is always active.
Mighty Healing Ale
My friend, Jimmy is stuck with the crappy ale. You, however, get the good stuff.
- Same as a regular Healing Ale except it purges all negative status effects except nausea such as poison, burning, slowness, wither, etc.
Major Heroes are incredibly powerful, game-shaping individuals with abilities that affect the dwarves as a whole. They all play extremely differently, almost as if playing different classes that dominate the battlefield simply with their presence alone.
The current Major Heroes and their special items are as follows:
- Bruce Willakers
- Excaliju - A greatly empowered golden sword that gives Bruce longer rampages and kills monsters around him.
- Virendra - A powerful bow with Punch X.
- Horn of the Buffalo - A Horn that allows Bruce to empower all dwarves with a special rampage globally.
- Roamin The Paladin
- Holy Purifier - A flamethrower.
- Holy Water - A Healing Ale that can heal all nearby dwarves in an area of effect.
- Nisovin's Illusion
- Tinder Flame MV711 - A hitscan gun that also acts as Nisovin's sword.
- Wand of Limited Probabilities - A wand that casts random spells as well as a global shield of absorption hearts.
- Gnomish Rocket Boots - A set of boots that launch Nisovin in a desired direction.
- Lance Willakers
- Holy Longsword - A longsword that gives Lance an extra block of range in melee.
- Runeblessed Shield - A shield that gives all nearby dwarves and himself Resistance as well as globally give everyone Resistance and Knockback Resistance.
- Lady Lorelei
- Regrowth Pendant - A Healing Ale that allows Lorelei to heal others and pick up monsters.
- Ethereal Longbow - A bow that shoots beams that penetrates monsters and gives dwarves rampages.
Major Hero Kit
Major Heroes generally receive 5 Wiggly Wrenches, 10 Slabs, 20 Enchanted Lamps, 32 Super Mortar, 5 stacks of Cobblestone, 2 stacks of Arrows, a Mighty Healing Ale, and their special items. They also receive Dwarven Hero Armor which has Unbreaking X on every piece, Protection II and a health boost of an additional 2.5 hearts on the Chestplate and Leggings, and Knockback Resistance on the helmet.
Like Minor Heroes, some of these items may possibly be replaced with the special hero item each hero spawns with, but that item is either equivalent or better than what would have been provided. A few of the heroes are also provided title weapons or renamed armor, but these give no gameplay advantage.
Event Heroes are those which only spawn during Events. They are generally more whimsical and unbalanced than typical heroes and may not adhere to the normal Major/Minor Hero scheme the others do.
The current Event Heroes and their special items are as follows:
- Mighty Hooves - A sword that gives SuperHorse the ability to leap.
- Equine Arrowslinger - A bow with Infinity.
- Super Saddle - A saddle that gives SuperHorse the ability to pick up dwarves and give them rampages, as well as Jump Boost in an area of effect.